Having read the words of those who had lived with the Holy Prophet SallAllahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam and had closely watched his every action, we shall now turn to some great scholars of Islam, whose writings are considered most authentic in Islamic affairs. Pay heed to these to dispel any doubts that you may have regarding the subject. All these great scholars firmly believed that celebrating Meeladun Nabi the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam is authentic and lawful.
..:: Sayings of the Great Scholars about Celebrating Mawlid? ::..
1. After relating Abu Lahab relief on setting Thuwaibha free, Hazrat Maulana Shah Abdul Haq Dehlvi in his famous book Madarijun Nabuwwat says:
This event provides a clear proof to those who celebrate Meelaad Shareef by rejoicing and alms giving on the night of the birth of the holy Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam), People of Makkah gather on 12th Rabi-ul-Awwal to is it the house in which the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam) only because he was his nephew, he has been receiving, in spite of this being an idolater, the benefits of thus rejoicing in his grave every Monday, then how much more blessing will fall to the lot of him who acknowledges the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) as the beloved of ALLAH and His true Prophet, and celebrates Meelaad Shareef repeatedly.
As the poet says:
Dostaan Ra Kujaa Kunee Mahroom
Tu Keh Ba Dushmanaan Nazar Daree
How would you (Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam) leave out friends?
You, who feel great compassion, even for your enemies.
1. Madarijun Nabbuwwat, Vol2, Page 34, Publisher: Ziaul Quran Publication
2. Madarijun Nabbuwwat, Vol2, Page 14/19
2. Due to the rejoicing he made at the birth of the holy Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam), Imaam Qastalaani says:
How would anyone of the Ummah the holy Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) fare, who is a Muslim and is steadfast in his belief in the unity of Allah and rejoices at his (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) birth and who spends whatever he can afford for the love of him (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam)? I swear by my life, that Allah, out of His Grace, will not reward such a person but by entering him into the Gardens of Bliss. (Mawaahib-dunniyah by Imam Qastalani, Vol1, Page 27, Published in Egypt)
3. Imaam Qastalaani says:
May ALLAH bless a person who celebrates ˜Eid on the nights of the blessed month of the holy birth of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam), so that it hurts them the most who have a serious disease in their hearts and who suffer from an incurable ailment on account of the blessed birth. (Mawaahib-dunniyah by Imam Qastalani, Vol1, Page 27, Published in Egypt)
Oppositions would have now found the required word Eid in such an authentic book. If they do not agree with the writings of Imaam Qastalaani, then they should condemn those who have called this book the best and of great virtue.
4. Imaam Qastalaani further says: How blessed is the month in which the Prophet of ALLAH (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) was born! How very superior and sacred! How very respected the nights (of the month) as though they are pearls shining bright throughout the ages! How full of light and pure the face of the one born! How blessed the Being (ALLAH) who made the birth of the holy Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) a springtime for the hearts and his (Sallal Laahu˜Alaihi Wa Sallam) face a manifestation of splendor!
Yaqoolu Lanaa-Lisaanul Haali Minhu.
The tongue of the Prophet of ALLAH (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) Speaks the truth. And the thing is that the voice of truth appears to be sweet to the listener
Wa Qaulul Haqqi Yazabu Lis Samee
And, O questioner! If you want to know about my attributes and my affairs, I would say this:
Fawajhi Waz-Zamaanu Wa sharu Wadee
My face and my age and the month of my birth is springtime in the month of Rabee-ul-Awwal.
Rabeeun Fi Rabee in Fi Rabee
He (Sallal Laahu˜Alaihi Wa Sallam) has likened his blessed face to springtime in respect of blessed beauty and splendor and that his face blossomed in springtime in the month of Rabee-ul-Awwal.
Ref: Mawaahib Ladunniyah by Imam Qastalani, Vol1, Page 73, Published in Egypt
5. Imam Sharfuddin Busairi in chapter 4 of Qasida Burda Shareef speck of the birth of Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam. The blessed day on which Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam, was born is a praise worthy event. The birth of Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam, illuminated the entire universe. Some miracles and incidents, which took place at the time of birth, are mentioned in this chapter. These were signs of the greatness of Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam.
Abaana Mawliduhu Un Teebi UnSuriahi
Ya Teeba Mubtadaee Minhu Wa Mukhtatami
His birth distinctly showed his pure origin
The excellence! Of his beginning and his end.
Wal Jinnu Tahâ€™tifu Wal Anwaru SaTiatun
And the jinn were shouting (at the appearance of Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) and the NUR was glistening
Wal Haqqu YaZharu Mim Manauw Wamin Kalimi
And the truth (nubuwaat) appeared with these anwaar, and with their voices.
Ref: Qasida Burda Shareef, Chapter 4 Concerning the birth of Rasulullah SallallahuAlayhi Wasallam, Couplet 1/7
6. Ibne Jauzi has devoted a whole book to Meelaad, which is called Maulad-ul-Uroos. Allamah Ibne Jauzi says:
And whosoever rejoices at the birth of our beloved Mustafa (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wa Sallam), this rejoicing by him will turn the Fire away, and whosoever spends even a dirham on the occasion of the Meelaad of the Prophet of ALLAH (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wa Sallam) he (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) will intercede on his behalf and his intercession will be accepted. (Meelad-ul-Uroos, Page 9)
7. And, Ibne Jauzi has also written:
Ya Maulidal Mukhtaari kam Laka Min Sana.
Wa Madaaihin Talu Wa Zikrin Yuhmadu.
Ya Laita Toolad Dahri Indi Zikruhu.
Ya Laita Toolad Dahri Indi Mawlidu.
O Meelaad of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam)! You are mightily praised, and the praise is such that it is the loftiest and the remembrance is such that it is the most excellent; how I wish the remembrance of the holy Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) shall be with me for a long time! How I wish his (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) Meelaad shall be with me for a long time! (Meeladul Uroos, Page 28)
8. In this regard, Hazrat Shah Waliyullah Dehlvi says:
â€œFollowing the ancient practice, I recited the Holy Quraan and distributed the things (food etc.) Of the Niyaaz (Faatihah) of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) and made a public display of his blessed heir (Mooae Muboarak). While reciting (the Holy Quraan), Malaika (Angels nearest to ALLAH) came to attend the Mahfil-e-Meelaad and the blessed soul of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) showed much kindness to me (Shah Waliyul Laah) and my friends. I, thus, saw that Malaika (Angels nearest to ALLAH) and, with them, the whole group of Musalmaans, were ascending to high heaven (on account of the blessings of the Prophet) and this blessed condition was reflected (in the Mahfil-e-Meelaad). (Al Qaul al-Jalee, Page 74)
9. Hazrat Shah Abdul Haq Muhaddis Dehlvi (may Allah have mercy on him), in his book â€œMa Sabata Minas Sunnahâ€ referring to the night of the blessed birth, of the holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu âAlaihi Wa Sallam) says:
We would rather say that the night when the holy Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) was born is definitely superior to Lailat-ul-Qadr. This is so because the night of the birth is the night when he was manifested and Lailat -ul Qadr was bestowed on him (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam), and a thing which became blessed on account of him upon whom it was bestowed is more blessed than that which became blessed because of it being conferred upon him (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) and because Lailat-ul-Qadr is blessed because on this night Angels descend, and the night of the birth of the holy Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) is blessed because of himself (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam), and because Lailat-ul-Qadr is a blessing only for the Ummah of Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) and the night of his blessed birth is a blessing for all beings. Thus the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) is he who ALLAH Taala sent down as a mercy to all the worlds and it is through him that ALLAH completed His blessings on all His creations in all heavens and in all earth.â€ (Ma Sabata Min as-Sunnah, Page 82, Published by Qaiyyumi Press, Kanpur, August 1923)
10. Those calling themselves followers of Shah Waliyyullahâ€™s family should also note the following statement of Hazrat Shah Waliyyullah Muhaddis Dehlvi. In his book, Ad Durrus Sameen, he says:
My dear father, Hazrat Shah Abdur Raheem Dehlvi (may ALLAH have mercy on him) informed me that he used to get food cooked on Meelaad days as a mark of rejoicing for him (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam). One year it so happened that he could not afford anything except roasted grams, so he distributed those among the people, with the result that he had a vision of the holy Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) in his dream and saw that those roasted grams were lying before him (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallam) and he (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) looked pleasedâ€. (Ad Durrus Sameen, Page 3)
11. Haji Imdadullah Sahib Muhajir Makki (may ALLAH have mercy on him) says:
â€œThe practice of this faqeer has been that I participate in Meelaad Shareef functions. In view of the fact that doing so brings blessings, I myself hold Meelaad every year, and find great solace and joy in Qiyaam (reciting salutations in a standing position)â€
1. Faislah Haft Masalah, page 5, published by Matbaa Majeedi, Kanpur, December, 1921
2. Faislah Haft Masalah Maa Taleeqat, page 111, published in Lahore.
3. Faislah Haft Masalah, page 5, published in Lahore 1986
12. In the fourth chapter of his book Ad Durrul Munazzam, Maulana Shaikh Abdul Haq Muhaddis Allahabaadi has recorded in detail incidents which manifested themselves at the time when the holy Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) was born. These include:
â€œA cluster of stars concentrated over the roof of his house at the time of the birth of the holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wa Sallam); Angels hoisted flags on holy Baitul Laah and in the east and in the west; the whole atmosphere was filled with the voices of Angels and houries reciting salutations to him in the standing position and congratulating each other and rejoicing with abandon; animals also congratulated each other at the birth of the holy Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam), the Kaâbatul Laah bowed in a manner of saluting, and the falsehood vanished and the light of truth spread light in all directions.
1. Page 54, 72, 91; Mawaahib-Ladunniyah by Imaam Qastalaani
2. Page 57; Mauladul Uroos by Imam Ibne Jauzi
3. Page 3, 7, 26, Shawaahidun Nubawwah by Maulana Jaami
4. Page 55; As-seeratual Halbiyah by Allamah Ali Bin Burhaan
5. Khasaais-Kubra by Imaam Suyooti Vol. l, Page 45, 94
6. Zurqaani by Allamah Zurqaani Vol. 1, Page 112, 116.
13. Imam Abul Hussain Muahammad Bin Ahmad Place of Birth of Prophet Peace Be With Him is one of the Holy Places in Makkah Mukarramah. The soil of this place have an honor that it kissed the blessed body of Allahs Beloved Peace Be With Him very first and this is the place where the Birth of Prophet Peace Be Upon Him took place who is the blessing for whole universe. In the Month of Rabiul Awwal especially on the occasion of his Birth Day this place is open for all and sundry and people incessantly visits this place to attain ALLAH Mercy and blessing. (Rehlah Ibne Jabeer, Pg 60)
14. Ibn Kathir have stated:
â€œIblis cried loudly four times, first when Allah declared him as cursed, second when he was thrown out, Third When Prophet (salallaho alaihi wasalam) was born and fourth when Surah Fatiha was revealed.
1. Al Bidaayah Wan Nihaayah, Vol 2, Page 166
2. Shawaahidun Nubuwwah by Maulana Jaami Page 51.
15. Shikeh Muhammad Bin Alawi al-Maliki said:
Holy Prophet Peace Be With Him due to importance of his Birthday use to avow it a great incident and use to pray to ALLAH Almighty as it was a great blessing for him also Sarkar used to Salutations upon himself we too must celebrate Meeladun Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasllam, Cook food and do other adulations and praise to Almighty ALLAH by other ways of delight. (Asbaatul Mawlid Wal Qayam, Pg 24)
17. Hazrat Shiekh Abdul Haq Muhaddith Dehlvi used to pray:
O Lord! I do not have such deeds that I can present in your mighty court. Wrongdoer influences all of my deeds. But there is an act of this Humbler just because of your mercy to present you and that is my salutations on your Beloved Prophet Peace Be Upon Him that I use to offer with honesty and integrity in standing position in the blessed gatherings of Mawlid Shareef. (Akhbarul Akhyaar, Pg 644)
18. Hadrat Shaykh Yousuf bin Ismael an-Nabhani said,
Only Pagans and Non-Believers are against celebrating Miladun Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam. (Jawahirul Bâhar by Allama Yusuf Nabhani)
19. A scholar stated that he was blessed with the vision of Holy Prophet Peace Be Upon Him. He asked, Ya Rasool Allah Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam, Are you pleased about Muslims; who celebrate your birthday? He replied Those who love me; I love them too (Tazkiratul Waâizeen, pg 200, Published from Maktaba Habibia Quetta)
20. Ibn Kathir says regarding Shah Malik al-Muzzafar regarding whom Salafis spread deception by forging words of Ibn Kathir i.e. he was actually a Fasiq, cruel and Bidati ruler but in reality Ibn Kathir said:
He was a generous, mighty master, and glorious ruler, whose works were very good. He built Jamiya al Muzaffari near Qasiyun During Rabi ul Awwal he used to celebrate Mawlid Shareef with great celebration, Moreover, he was benevolent, brave, wise, a scholar, and just person. Sheikh Abul Khattab wrote a book on Mawlid an-Nabwi for him and named it At-Tanwir fi Mawlid al Bashir al Nazeer, for which he gave him 1000 dinars. His rule stayed till the Rule of Salahiya and he captured Aka and he remained a man worthy of respect.
Al-Sabt mentions that a person attending the gathering of Mawlid held by Muzzafar said:
He used to fill the table with 5000 well cooked goats, 10,000 chickens, 100-thousand bowls (of milk) and 30,000 trays of sweets. (Tarikh Ibn Kathir, Al Bidayah Wan Nihaya Volume 13, Page No. 174)
21. Imam Shahab-ud-din Abul Abbas al-Qastalani (Rahimuhullah) said:
When it is said that Prophet (Sallallaho Alaihi wa Sallam) was born at night time then the question arises which of the two nights is greater i.e. Night of Decree or Night of Prophet (Sallallaho Alaihi wa Sallam) birth?
The Night of Prophet Sallallaho Alaihi wa Sallam birth is superior due to 3 reasons
First: He (Sallallaho Alaihi wa Sallam) arrived (in this world) on the Night of Mawlid whereas Night of decree was granted to him (afterwards), therefore the arrival of Prophet Sallallaho Alaihi wa Sallam is greater than what has been granted to him, hence night of Mawlid is higher in virtue.
Second: If Night of decree is vitreous night because Angels descend in it, then Night of Mawlid has the virtue of Prophet (Sallallaho Alaihi wa Sallam) being sent to world. The Prophet Sallallaho Alaihi wa Sallam is superior to Angels, therefore night of Mawlid becomes superior.
Third: Due to night of decree, the Ummah of Muhammad (Sallallaho Alaihi wa Sallam) was given imminence, whereas due to Night of Mawlid all creations were given Fazilah, as Prophet (Sallallaho Alaihi wa Sallam) is sent as Mercy to worlds/creations (Quran 21:107), hence the blessing was made general for all creations.
1. Imam Qastallani in Al Muwahib al Laduniya Volume 1, Page No. 145
2. Imam Zarqani in his Sharah of Al-Muwahib, Volume 1, Page Nos 255-256
22. Imam Qastallani (Rahimuhullah) also said:
May Allah have mercy on the one who turns the nights of the month of the Prophets birth into celebration in order to decrease the suffering of those whose hearts are filled with disease and sickness. [Al-Muwahib- Volume 1,
Page No 148]
23. Imam Jalal ud din Suyuti (Rahimuhullah) writes:
The reality of Mawlid is that people gather to recite Quran to the extent that is easy, also to discuss narrations which are regarding Prophet (Salallaho Alaihi wa Sallam), the signs which took place on his birth. Then dinning is arranged for them and they return without adding anything more to this Bidat al Hasanah. The one who arranges it gets Thawab due to honoring Prophet (Sallallaho Alaihi wa Sallam) and showing gratitude on his birth [Al Hawi
lil Fatawi, Volume 1, Page No. 292, Published by Maktaba al Asriya, Beirut,
24. Imam Jalal ud din Suyuti (Rahimuhullah) answers why celebrating on birth supercedes the sorrow of Prophet (Sallallaho Alaihi wa Sallam) passing away on same date.
The birth of Prophet (Sallallaho Alaihi wa Sallam) is a great blessing for us and his death is very saddening for us too, however Shariah has ordered us to rejoice and thank Allah on blessings, whereas on calamity it has taught us to have patience while hiding it, this is why Shariah has told us to do Aqiqa on birth which is a form of being happy and thankful to Allah for giving us birth, but on death there is no concept of sacrificing an animal and even lamenting is forbidden. Hence in light of rulings prescribed by shariah one should rejoice in Rabi ul Awwal on birth of our beloved Prophet (Sallallaho Alaihi wa Sallam) [Al Hawi lil Fatawi, Volume 1, Page No. 298, Published by Maktaba al Asriya,
25. Imam Shams-ud-din Dimishqi (Rahimuhullah) writes:
It is proven that Abu Lahab punishment of fire is reduced on every Monday because he rejoiced on brith of Prophet (Salallaho Alaihi wa Sallam) and freed the slave-woman Thawba Radi ALLAHu Taala Anha When Abu Lahab, whose eternal abode is hell fire and regarding whom whole surah of Tabad Yada (i.e. Surah Lahab) was revealed, he gets Takhfif in his Adhaab every Monday then Imagine the situation of a (momin) who has spent his life in rejoicing over birth of Prophet (Sallallaho Alaihi wa Sallam) and died as a Mawhid
1. Mawrid as Sadi Fi Mawlid al Hadi by Imam al-Dimishqi
2. Imam Suyuti in Hassan al Maqsad fi Amal al Mawlid, Page No. 66
26. Shah Abdul Aziz Muhadith Dhelvi (Rahimuhullah) said:
The Barakah of Rabi ul Awwal is due to birth of Prophet (Sallallaho Alaihi wa Sallam) in this month, the more this Ummah sends Darud and Salaam and arrange for (sadaqa for the poor), more will they be blessed [Fatawa al Azizi, Vol
1, Page 123]
27. The great Mufasir and Sufi, Hadrat Ismail Hiqqi (Rahimuhullah) said:
To celebrate Mawlid is amongst the great tributes to Prophet (Salallaho Alaihi wa Sallam), but the condition is that it should be clear of evil things. Imam Suyuti has said: It is Mustahab for us to be happy on birth of Prophet (Salallaho Alaihi wa Sallam) [Tafsir Ruh ul Bayan, Volume 9, Page No. 52]
28. Shaykh al-Islam Imam Ibn Hajar al-Haytatami al-Makki Radi ALLAHu Taala Anho states in an-Neamatul Kubra, Page 6, Istanbul Turkey)
All good is from Allah Taala whereas mistakes are from this humble speck. May Allah Taala Bless all readers, bringing you all closer to Him and His Rasul SallAllahu Alaihi wa Sallam. May He accept our humble efforts and grant us the capacity to be good and do good. Ameen.